Wednesday, April 3, 2013

JOHN DEERE MAINTENANCE (Part 2 - Engine Maintenance - Changing the Oil)

I have an aversion to spending money that I could have saved through a little advance thought and planningI'm also reluctant to pay someone to do things that I can do myself.  Although this philosophy doesn't always work out as planned (I recall that toilet installation for example) for the most part I save money doing things myself.  Consistent with this philosophy is making sure that my equipment lasts as long as possible so that I don't have to keep shelling out my hard-earned dollars "rebuying" stuff I've already bought.  Although greasing equipment is a start (see my post John Deere Maintenance - Part 1), there's a lot more to keeping your equipment in top shape.  According to the John Deere LA175 Operator's Manual, every 50 hours the engine oil/filter should be replaced, the air filter pre-cleaner and air filter element cleaned or replaced (more often if operated in dusty conditions), the engine cooling fins cleaned, the fuel filter and spark plugs replaced, the battery terminals cleaned, the mower blades sharpened, the mower drive belt checked and the mower deck checked/leveled and cleaned (mine doesn't have an emission filter so I ignore that part).  

Although this list may seem a little overwhelming at first, almost all can be done with just a little mechanical know-howI knew nothing about lawn tractor maintenance when I bought my tractor but I managed to figure it out.  Showing you how I do it along with the AMSOIL products that I use will enable you to save money while at the same time keeping your equipment running great and lasting as long as humanly possible (which is, of course, the goal). 

Changing the engine oil and filter is the subject of this post.  Depending upon the average temperatures where you'll be using your tractor, John Deere recommends a 10W-40, a 10W-30 or a 5W-30 motor oil.  Although the Operator's Manual references Turf-Guard and Plus-4 oils (both John Deere oils), the Manual also states that other oils may be used provided they meet API Service Classification SJ or higher (the John Deere "Answers" website indicates Classification SG or higher is required).  In the end it doesn't matter whether it's SJ or SG since AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke 10W-30/SAE 30 Small Engine Oil (AMSOIL Product Code ASE) meets both requirements.  And the oil is not affected as much by the outside temperatures (it's pour point is -40 degrees C!).  Based upon my years of experience with this oil, I can tell you that it's truly amazing.  All of my equipment runs great, has more power (since synthetics are "slipperier" than conventional lubricants), requires fewer repairs and lasts a long, long time!  If those are your goals as well, read on . . . . 




Small engines are, for the most part, air-cooled and run much hotter than liquid-cooled engines.  And it's just a fact that most people don't maintain their lawn and garden equipment "in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil is designed specifically for hot-temperature, severe-service operation of small engines where routine maintenance is performed infrequently or even neglected (heaven forbid).  The benefits of this oil include:
  • Heat Resistance and Reduced Oil Consumption
    Lasts longer than conventional oils and keeps engines clean and operating at peak efficiency by resisting oxidation and oil vaporization (oil-burn-off) which controls oil thickening. 
  • Superior Protection
    Has high levels of premium anti-wear and detergent additives to (1) provide severe service protection of engine components and (2) neutralize acids from combustion prone to small engines (thereby preventing corrosion). Anti-rust additives further protect equipment during storage or infrequent use.
Although AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke 10W-30/SAE 30 Small Engine Oil is designed to last longer than conventional oils, due to the wide variances in operating conditions and maintenance practices AMSOIL's official recommendation is to change the oil whenever the manufacturer recommends it.  For the LA175, John Deere recommends changing the oil every 50 hours.  So what's the benefit?  For me it's knowing that I have an extra measure of protection (and lots of peace-of-mind) if I do exceed the 50 hours (which I do on a regular basis).  So I don't really worry about the 50 hours since I know that the engine is still protected with AMSOIL.   
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke 10W-30/SAE 30 Small Engine Oil
Although it may be blasphemous for an AMSOIL Dealer to say this, I had a John Deere oil filter in the garage, left over from my days at Lowe's when I got both the employee and veteran discount.  Being cheap, I went ahead and used it this year but rest assured, I felt guilty the whole time I was installing it.  Although AMSOIL does not make an oil filter for the John Deere LA175 , AMSOIL has partnered with Donaldson to provide filters that complement the AMSOIL line of filters.  Donaldson filters are constructed with full synthetic or synthetic blend media for high efficiency, cleaner oil and better engine protection. I'll be using a Donaldson oil filter (AMSOIL Part Number P502024) next time I change my oil making my engine happier and me guilt-free! 
Donaldson P-Series Lube Filters

Step 1, Drain the Oil 

Run the engine to warm the oil (not hot!).  Rotate the drain cap and allow oil to drain into a pan.  Remove dipstick.  



Step 2, Remove the Old Filter 

I use a strap wrench if the filter won't come off by hand.  No matter what you do it's going to make a mess so be prepared to wipe up a bunch of oil with some rags or paper towels (thanks John Deere!). 



Step 3, Prepare and Install the New Filter 

You will need to stick your finger in the new oil and rub a thin layer on the filter gasket so a good seal will be created when you install it.  Also make sure to wipe off the oil mount on the tractor to ensure that it's clean.  Install the new filter by turning it to the right (clockwise) until the rubber gasket contacts the base.  The Operator's Manual says to turn the filter an additional one-half turn but my experience is that it turns a bit more than that, about 3/4 of a turn (I get paranoid if the filter feels too loose so I tighten it hand-tight).  Wearing mechanic's gloves makes it a little easier to grip since by this time your hands will be greasy. 



Step 4, Install Drain Cap and Fill with Oil

The oil capacity for the LA175 is 2 quarts and that's exactly what it takes.  However, do not overfill the crankcase since that could cause hard starting, spark plug fouling and it may cause the air filter to become contaminated with oil.  To avoid overfilling, I put in about 1 2/3 quarts through the dipstick hole, install the dipstick, start the engine briefly and then check the level.  It takes a couple of tries to get it exactly right but in the end I got the level precisely where it needs to be.  

 


Step 5, Properly Dispose of the Old Oil and Filter

Properly disposing of the used oil and filter is important (did you know that just one quart of used oil can produce a 2-acre oil slick and that used motor oil is one of the largest sources of pollution in the nation's waterways?).  Synthetic oil can be recycled in the same way as conventional lubricants.  I take mine to the local County Solid Waste/Recycling Facility but there are numerous locations where you can dispose of old oil and filters including auto parts stores, some big box retailers with auto service centers, other auto repair shops, etc.  If you go to "earth911.com" and click on Find a Recycling Center (then search for "motor oil" and your zip code) you should be able to find a place that will take your old oil and filters.

 
 

Thanks much for visiting this post!  We'll continue with tractor engine maintenance next time.  

Questions, comments and advice are always welcome!!  
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment